Saturday, April 11, 2009

Get on the Ball!

If you only ever invest in one piece of fitness "equipment" in your life, you should invest in a stability ball.

I love to show my clients how to do exercises on the stability ball. Almost any exercise that you would do on a traditional, stationary machine at the gym, can be done on the stability ball-only better.

Using the stability ball is better because you are forced to use your core muscles even while you are strengthening other muscle groups. Traditional, stationary machines at the gym only allow you to work one muscle group at a time. Using the ball is much more efficient by forcing you to recruit at least two muscle groups at once. (Try doing an exercise on the ball without engaging your abs)

This is where body awareness comes in. You have seen people on the quad machine before, doing their exercise while reading Us Weekly. They are not even paying attention! You can not do that while working on the ball. (Don't worry, you can read about John and Jen breaking up again when you are done.)

Expectant mamas will want to have one to use for exercises that help to open the hips and to use during labor.

The good thing is that these things are literally sold every where. You will find them at specialty sporting goods stores and websites but also in the fitness aisle of your favorite big box store, near the fitness section and your favorite big book store and even at your favorite discount stores.

The stability ball also serves as a great extra chair for guests!

Pick up one this weekend!

3 comments:

Candace said...

Thanks for sharing! I love my stability ball. I sit on it and roll my hips while I am crafting or watching television. I need to start doing more 'actual' exercises with it very soon.

Candace said...

Thanks for sharing! I love my stability ball. I sit on it and roll my hips while I am crafting or watching television. I need to start doing more 'actual' exercises with it very soon.

Vionna said...

Great! Let me know if you need help with what exercises to do on the ball.